Taking Your Pet Abroad

It seems that more and more people are travelling abroad with their pets. Depending on the country you are travelling to there may be several different requirements that need to be fulfilled to bring them alone. As soon as you know you are travelling it’s best to look up what is needed for travel to that country. Some things may be time-sensitive, so the sooner you know what’s needed, the better. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) website is an excellent place to start when looking for requirements, or the government website for whatever country you’re travelling to. They will have the most up to date information available. Some countries may need to quarantine your pet for several days upon the arrival. It is your responsibility to find out what is needed by when and to let us know.

Regardless where you’re going, it’s recommended you get your pet examined and up to date on vaccines before leaving. Microchipping your pet is also recommended (and required by some countries). If any forms need to be filled out by your veterinarian, you can bring them along and let us know when you need them by. Often a health certificate is needed, but some countries may need an export/import certificate as well. Many destinations may require you to go to a CFIA veterinarian afterwards to get an export stamp before departure as well.

Another aspect not to be overlooked is coordinating everything with your airline if you are flying. It is best to give them a call as soon as you know you’re travelling with a pet and find out what steps need to be taken before departure and what their current regulations are for pet transport.

If you have any questions, please give us a call at 519-759-3031.

Written by: Dr. David Baker, DVM